Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Explore ↣ Paris, Frace

Oh Paris. This post is going to be a long one and hard to narrow down my favorites. If you haven't noticed yet I am a tad obsessed with this city and everything in this beautiful and perfect place. I spent a summer there in college and went back last summer for my honeymoon. I really believe there is no where like this city in the world. However, I have heard of people going here for a few days, rushing around to the tourist spots, eating from touristy, overpriced vendors, and not enjoying their time. In my opinion Paris is all about slowing down and taking in the beauty of it all. The beauty of the sites, the food, and just their culture in general. Obviously there are main tourist spots you have to go to if you are visiting and I am going to write a list of what I believer are the must dos. Check out these must-see spots but then the rest of your time in Paris, go to a cafe, grab a book, a cafe creme and take in the parisian culture!


Do:

  • Eiffel Tour

 This is an obvious one. However, there are two ways to truly enjoy this main hotspot.
↣ Expensive option: Dinner at the top of the Eiffel at Le Jules Verne. This is one that comes with a high price but if you are willing to spend the money it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and will be worth it. Tip- make sure to book a reservation well in advance!
↣ Cheaper but still good option: Go to a local monoprix (there are a million of these stores everywhere) grab fresh bread, cheese, wine, fruit, and a blanket and enjoy a picnic on the Champ de Mars (park in front of the Eiffel Tour.) Get there right before sunset as the Eiffel will sparkle every hour  on the hour after sunset and it's truly beautiful. Tip- be careful of pickpockets! This is obviously a tourist spot so make sure to keep your belongings close to you.
I also recommend strolling by here during the day. The Eiffel looks totally different during the day and the neighborhoods around there are gorgeous and worth just walking through imagining a life where you could afford these.

  • Notre Dame
I believe Notre Dame has the best views in Paris. You have the view of the seine, the neighborhoods, and the Eiffel Tour. Notre Dame is exquisite on the outside and inside but I am telling you it's worth the wait to go up to the top! Some of my favorite pictures of Paris come from this view. I also love getting up close to the gargoyles and of course the famous bells. There is also a park behind Notre Dame that is a perfect place to sit and enjoy the view of the church (plus the park has free wi-fi). If you like entertainment, almost every night there are entertainers around Notre Dame. I've seen plays, men doing fire tricks, or my favorite rollerblading stunters (i'm telling you they are amazing.)  
↣ Notre Dame is also a central location to some of my favorite areas. To the right of Notre Dame (if you are looking at the front of the church) goes into the Latin Quarter which is a fun place for tourist merchandise, food and drinks. This area is definitely busy at night. To the left of Notre Dame you have the quieter cafes along the river which seem to be more locals than tourists. Directly behind Notre Dame is one of my favorite neighborhoods. It's filled with beautiful apartments and local shops and boutiques. 

 







Park behind Notre Dame
Neighborhood behind Notre Dame




  • The Louvre

The Louvre is famous for its pyramid as well as being the holding place for the Mona Lisa and many other famous pieces of art. Yet, it is the other aspects of why I love this place so much. The building is absolutely stunning. Just look up at all the details on the walls, windows, and roofs. It's incredible. Random note: I love walking into the outside center square of the Louvre. The Louvre is crazy with tourist but for some reason when you walk into this square it all gets really quite. I use to go and sit in that area for a while when I stayed the summer there. Just something really peaceful about it. I also adore the Tuileries Gardens in front of the Louvre. You can walk in these gardens from the Louvre, through the Concorde, and eventually end up on the Champs- Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe. Perfect way to hit a few of the Paris attractions and do some shopping along the way. The Louvre is also an amazing museum and worth going to if you have any appreciation for art!

 


  •  Palais Garnier/ The Opera 
The Opera is obviously famous for being the setting of "The Phantom of the Opera" (which I adore.) However, the actual opera house is beyond words. The main hallway is completely covered in gold and chandeliers. The actual theater is a magnificent piece of artwork. And there are small rooms throughout that are so beautiful to walk through. I have been here many times and would go back every week if I could. 



 



























  • Musee D'Orsay
Another great museum that use to be an old railway station (so perfect for good photo opportunities.)


 

 



  • Dinner Cruise on the Seine 
There are different options for cruises on the Seine River. If you are with a group you can just do a sunset cruise and get to see Paris from a different perspective. Though, a little more romantic of an evening is the Dinner Cruise. They leave about the same time as the other cruise right before sunset and as with most cruises, time it perfectly to see the Eiffel Tour sparkle at the end of the evening. Yet the dinner includes of course a 3-course traditional french meal along with live music on some tours.  My husband and I waited until the last night to enjoy this but it was one of my favorite moments. There really is nothing like eating dinner while looking out the window to see Paris passing by you. 
↣ This is the cruise that we took and highly recommend: Calife Cruise 






  • Arc de Triomphe
The Arc de Triomphe is a famous monument as it was built in honor of those who fought and died in the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars. You can see the names of the victories and generals inscribed along the walls of the Arc and beneath the Arc is the tomb of the unknown soldier. The Arc makes my top list as it contains so much history along with another picturesque view of Paris. The walk to the top is a small spiraling staircase so if you are at all claustrophobic this might not be the one for you but it's an absolutely beautiful and unique view. The Arcs perfect location shows the circle of Paris and the way the different avenues span out.  Great for photos and helps you understand the layout of Paris a bit more. The Arc is right on the Champs-Elysees so definitely plan time for shopping along with this.  Lauderee is also located in the Champs for perfect, delicious, and any flavor imaginable macaroons. 



Eat: 

  • Crepes
Honestly, you're in Paris; you can get a good crepe anywhere. Nevertheless, I am going to list a few of my favorite spots anyways. 

Mich Sandwiches and Crepes
6, Place St Michel, 75006 Paris, France 
This is a quick on the go type place but if you are looking for a solid, simple crepe this is the place. The guys that work there are super friendly and also speak English well which helps! I would grab a ham and cheese crepe for dinner, walk over to the Seine (where a lot of the locals hang out), and eat it by the river. Perfect and very parisian evening. They also have the best simple dessert crepes. My favorite is the sucre (sugar) crepe. I miss these so much.

Crepes a Gogo
12 rue Soufflot, Paris, France (Pantheon)
This creperie is good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It has a ton of different flavor combinations and everything I have tried there is amazing. Plus it is located right by the pantheon which is another fun area to hang out at with a lot of locals. 
Tip: the area behind the Pantheon has a lot of local shopping and restaurants and sometimes even live entertainment. Definitely a fun area to hang out at!


  • Sandwiches

Multiple locations
My favorite lunches in Paris are just grabbing a perfectly made, perfectly fresh sandwich on the go. I would grab a sandwich a from local vendor and they all basically taste the same so I would just say take your pick and enjoy!

  • Macaroons

Multiple locations
Laduree is one of the most famous Macaroon options and definitely lives up to its name. Not cheap but worth trying at least once (even just to go look at all the beautiful flavors and colors.) But once again you're in Paris, most places will have these perfectly made french delicacies. 
The Laduree location in St. Germain is a good option as this is a really cool part of town and great area for shopping! There is also a Laduree location on the Champs-Elysees which is obviously another area for shopping and site seeing. 

  • Easy Meal Out

Paul
Multiple locations
These are everywhere around Paris and a solid choice if you are out and about. We ate here many times (including the train station) and enjoyed every meal. Good food and even better desserts. I mean look at those tartes. I'm drooling just posting these pictures and actually thankful we don't have these everywhere in America or I (really my figure) would be in trouble. 







Eric Kayser
Multiple locations
This is another cafe/boulangerie that I adore. There are a few locations around Paris and it is a perfect place to grab a treat and coffee before heading off to the next attraction. This was the only place my husband would buy his almond croissants (which he is obsessed with) in Paris. Trust me, if you are near one of these feel confident that it is a good choice with amazing fresh breads and pastries. We spent many mornings here sipping our cafe cremes. 


Here are just a few more snapshots of food to make us all drool over Paris a little more. How do they make them so beautifully?!

 
There are obviously a million nice restaurants to choose from in Paris and are all delicious. But for me Paris is all about appreciating the simple things like a good crepe, sandwich, baguette, and pastry. In my opinion the better food in Paris is on the cheaper side so that is what I decided to focus on in this post. Maybe in a later post I will talk more about fancy dining in Paris but for now I hope you enjoy!

Stay:

My first summer in Paris I enjoyed the adventure of hostel living. Although there are a lot of fun and interesting memories I won't forget, I was more than happy when my husband booked us a tad bit nicer of a place for our honeymoon (hopefully you know I am exaggerating here). 

  • Le Royal Monceau 
37 Av, Hoche, Paris
This is one of the coolest hotels I have ever stayed out. Everything about this hotel was glamourous and fun at the same time. We had a guitar in our room, the closet the size of my apartment, and my absolute dream bathroom. The staff was also really attentive and welcomed us to our suite with an amazing treat for our honeymoon. The location was perfect as we were steps away from the Arc de Triomphe and really anywhere else we needed to go. This hotel is not on the cheap side but perfect if you are wanting to splurge for a exciting and glitzy time in Paris.
I also was obsessed with the fact that I blended in with the hallways. (little things in life right?)
 
 

Parisian Lifestyle Help: 

  • Enjoy a picnic in one of their many parks
I can't tell you how many days I would just grab some food from a local market and sit and enjoy their peaceful green parks. This is truly the parisian lifestyle. 

A few of my favorite Parks:
↣  Luxembourg Gardens
     This is a main park packed with tourists and locals. The gardens are perfectly manicured and there are many different spots you can sit throughout the park. I think this is one of the prettiest parks and easy to get to yet, more crowded than the other parks. So for looks: go here, for quiet: go to the other options. 
↣ Parc Monceau 
      My husband and I found this park by accident but it ended up being a perfect place for a picnic. Definitely filled with local parisian families enjoying sunny summer afternoons. There is also a pond located in the center with hungry ducks waiting for leftover baguette. 
↣ Parc des Buttes Chaumont
      This park is a little farther out but once again my favorite thing to do: has an amazing view of the city. The park sits on top of the hill and was a main spot of mine for many sunsets. This park has a large green area and lots of paths so good for walking and exercise. 

These are just a few of my favorite spots but honestly Paris has the park thing down and any park i'm sure is lovely and great for picnics, book reading, or just soaking up the parisian sun. 

  • Use the Metro
The Metro is a lot easier than it seems and once you understand how to use it, it makes getting around Paris a lot easier and faster.  First off if you are going to be in Paris for more than 
It's a lot easier than it seems.
some tips:
↣ Get a map! They are free and you'll find them at the info booth. First thing is make sure you make note on which stop you got on at and which direction you are wanting to go. Try and map out where you are going before hand and see which lines you will need to take to get to your destination. To make it easier the lines are colored and numbered. 
↣ Buy a pass! If you are going to be in Paris for longer than a few days, a pass is well worth it (for ease alone.) There are different options you can buy the Paris Visite Pass which is unlimited travel for 1-5 days and also includes special offers to museums, attractions, and restaurants. 
You can also purchase the daily or weekly passes which offer the same unlimited travel without the special offers. 
↣ Use the RER for certain day trips like coming or going from the airport, Disneyland Paris, or going to visit the Versailles Palace. You will need a different ticket for the RER and these lines are trickier and easier to get lost if you are not sure where you are going. So make sure you have the right ticket for how far you want to go and map out exactly which lines you will need to take before heading down there. (You can always ask for help at the information desks.) 
Tip: Most RER stations require you to keep your ticket to exit as well. 


This is my quick guide to Paris for anyone who is enjoying a few days in this glorious city. My husband and I hope to be back enjoying the parisian life very soon.
With love,
E













No comments:

Post a Comment