Sunday, August 3, 2014

Design ↣ DIY Hydrangea Planter Box


I have always loved the charming look of window box planters.  They are simple, yet extremely versatile.  I stumbled upon this picture while scrolling through Pinterest one day and immediately felt inspired to create a hydrangea planter box for my new apartment.  I decided to use it to fill some counter space in my bathroom but it could honestly be used in any room in the house.  The fact that it was so quick and easy to make and cost about $20 was another reason I loved this decor project.




Here's what I used:


  • 1 Woodline Works Unfinished Wooden Small CD Crate (Joann Fabrics)
  • 1 Quart Dark Oak Satin Finish Polystain
  • 1 Paintbrush
  • 1 pair of wire cutters
  • 3 single stem white hydrangeas (Joann Fabrics)





(If you are thinking of using this as a dining room centerpiece or have a larger space to fill, you can use a large crate which is double the size for just a couple dollars more.)








First, I stained the planter box using several coats. I wanted a really dark finish to match my bathroom cabinets. I think I ended up doing 4 or 5 coats.  But since the stain I used was a polystain, I didn't have to worry about doing a final coat of polyurethane after I was finished.

Next, I took my wire cutters and trimmed the hydrangea stems. 

Finally, I arranged them in the box and used some of the green leaves to fill in and hold them in place.



xo,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment